I did a call this week for a Social Media Telesummit that is launching soon and it was about Twitter Marketing. As you probably have seen by now, I’m a Twitter (and social media) fanatic and a huge proponent of Twitter to help build your business. In fact, my success in building my email list to well over 500 people in just a few months is comprised of nothing more than article marketing and social media. People who discount the value of Twitter as an authentic Internet marketing strategy are probably not doing it correctly.
In this article, I reveal 5 Twitter strategies to authentically build your list, connect with prospects, and ultimately get new clients.
- Have a plan. Most people jump into Twitter and think the quickest and most effective way to market is by following a bunch of random people and send out a series pre-canned tweets hoping their message will convince someone to opt-in or buy. I like to call it the “spray and pray” method using Twitter. After a few weeks when they hardly anyone clicks their tweets and nobody opted-in, they discount Twitter by saying this doesn’t work. You must have a strategy and a plan in place for Twitter. Think about who you want to follow and why. Ideas: Prospects? Potential leads? Clients? JV partners? Don’t follow people purely with the intent to get followed back. One of the best ways to find people in your niche is to simply use serarch.twitter.com and type in some keywords or phrases for your market and see who’s talking about it on Twitter. Follow with the intent to engage them. Once a plan is in place and you’re strategically following the right people for the right reasons, have an end goal in sight. One of the best goals is to ultimately drive your Twitter followers back to your site or blog where they can access more of what you have offer by joining your list!
- Twitter is a conversation. Twitter is the like the modern day networking group, but online. You need to engage with people on Twitter the same you would engage with people at a networking event. You show up, you contribute to the conversation by engaging your audience and provide good content and add value. Remember the lifetime of a tweet is often just seconds. The conversation is always happening whether you’re in it or not. So, show up and participate in the conversation! So, you need to do the work on Twitter. Expecting Twitter to be the magic bullet for building your list or getting clients is like showing up at networking event and leaving all your business cards around the room and then going back home – hoping for a prospect to ask you if they can work with you. Where is the engagement in that relationship? If you’re using a Twitter system to blast 10 tweets a day with nothing but your own promotional stuff, I say shame on you. Yes, systems are good (but in moderation.) Yes, you can promote your stuff (but in addition to other high value content you provide. It’s got to be more about them then you.
- Implement tools and systems. I’m a huge fan of combining automation and your own efforts so that marketing on Twitter works for you. This is where you might want to think about hiring a social media VA. Not for the purposes of doing your tweets for you, but to assist in the setup and some of the automation in using Twitter. It cannot be outsourced 100%. But, hiring someone to help setup Twitter so are following the right people, responding to DM messages in a timely manner, and most importantly, setting up the automation aspect of feeding select tweets to other social media outlets like Facebook. You can auto-post your blog articles to Twitter (and Facebook) as well as auto-post photos (say from your iPhone) to both Twitter and Facewbook. Yes, you could take time to try and figure all this out and set it up but there are people out there that are highly skilled and willing to do this setup work for you. It will take a fraction of the time. Be sure to use services like Tweetdeck and Ping.fm to assist you in multi-tasking your Twitter and social media efforts. Then you can focus on the most important aspects of Twitter marketing (i.e. see points #1 and #2 above).
- Measure your ROI. I’m a huge fan of making sure whatever it is you do to market your business you measure the results and ensure it’s actually providing value for your business. A lot of people spend hours a day on Twitter and get no leads and no sales. In my book, that’s a surefire way to go out of business pretty soon. I like to measure ROI by using “hard” analytics and “soft” analytics. Hard analytics are using tools like bit.ly as a URL shortener so you can track the number of clicks on the links included in your tweets. It’s like measuring the click-through-rate of your emails. Are you sending tweets but nobody is clicking on them? You need to change and improve what you’re sending. Again, a social media VA can help set this up and measure the ROI for your Twitter efforts. Soft analytics does not use numbers or stats, but the feedback and comments you get from people you connect with through Twitter. I love to hear when people say “I love following you on Twitter because you put out such good content!” You can’t put a number on that to measure the return on investment. My favorite? Hearing from clients who work with us that tell us they found us through Twitter. How cool is that? A 5-figure coaching client originated from Twitter and not from any other lead source. In my book, Twitter pays off BIG time.
- You can expect to get clients FROM Twitter, not ON Twitter. Twitter is a relationship-marketing tool. You can’t just provide content and value on Twitter and expect them to immediately want to work with you. It often will take time to build the know-like-trust factor in the same way it takes time with the articles and emails you’re providing. This is how relationship-marketing works! You need to first establish that connection with your prospects by providing value and then over time establish goodwill by serving them above and beyond what they’re expecting. People want to feel a sense of connection these days as we’re constantly trying to be high-touch in a high-tech world. Eventually, those prospects will perhaps read more of your articles or perhaps join your list by ordering your irresistible free offer. From there, you can give more content and value so they will want to work with you.
So, get out there and tweet your way to new clients! You can connect with me on Twitter at twitter.com/derekfred.
Until Next Time… Learn It, Love It, Live It!
Are you using a “spray and pray” approach to connecting with followers on Twitter? If so, we’ve got to change that. Spend some time to see who you’re following – and why. Who else could you connect with perhaps outside of your current list? JV’s? Prospects? Competitors? How are you sourcing your content for your tweets? I like people to use a 5 minute three times a day rule where they spend 5 minutes each time to provide content and connect with people on Twitter. Where are you not engaging with people and spend the time to be more pro-active and see results!
Interested in finding out more about Twitter and other authentic Internet marketing strategies to help grow your online business? The Authentic List Building Coaching program can show you exactly how you can authentically add up to 1,000 new qualified prospects to your business each month. People who really “get” your message and are eager and ready to become your client or buy your products. And, you could do this authentically, quickly and consistently, without being spammy or icky, but just by being you. How would that make a difference in your life? I created this one-of-a-kind program to personally walk you through the same secrets we used (and continue to use daily) to add over 1,000 highly targeted and qualified leads to our list each month for the last 12 months. To see the presentation I created for you about authentic list building principles [IMPORTANT VIDEO], go here.
Want to use this article on your website or your own ezine? No problem! But here is what you MUST include:
Derek Fredrickson, Authentic Internet Marketing Specialist, is founder of the Authentic Internet Marketing System, the proven step-by-step program that shows you exactly how to authentically market your business online, in record time…guaranteed. To get your F.R.E.E. videos and receive his authentic internet marketing articles on attracting more leads and converting more sales online to multiply your current revenues, visit www.derekfredrickson.com.